Answers to Workers’ Compensation Frequently Asked Questions

A workers’ compensation attorney at Golitko & Daly, P.C. can represent your best interests if you have been injured on a construction site or another type of job. To help clients feel empowered and well informed about the complex laws and regulations surrounding workers’ compensation, attorneys Matthew M. Golitko and John P. Daly, Jr. have compiled a list of helpful questions to ask a workers’ compensation lawyerOur firm has helped former clients throughout Indianapolis, IN, and surrounding areas achieve satisfying outcomes through aggressive representation, and we look forward to answering your questions. Schedule your free case review by calling our office at (765) 626-3383 or contacting us online.

What am I obligated to do if I am hurt on the job?

Under the Indiana Workers’ Compensation Act, an employee is obligated to notify his or her employer of any injury that occurs on the job. The employee should insist that the employer prepare a written report.

Who pays my medical bills when I am treated for a work-related injury?

Under the Indiana Worker’s Compensation Act, if an employee is injured on the job, the employer is responsible for all medical care resulting from the injury. However, the employer is entitled to choose the doctor who will treat the employee.

How do I pay my bills during the time I am out of work as a result of my work injury?

Under the Indiana Worker’s Compensation Act, if you are temporarily totally disabled, you can receive two-thirds of your average weekly wage for the past year, but not more than $600 per week.

Where else can I look for income benefits if my employer refuses to pay worker’s compensation benefits?

You can apply for unemployment benefits or short-term disability benefits.

What are my duties and obligations if I work for another employer?

You can take a job with a new employer, but your eligibility for lost wage benefits may be affected.

Can I recover money for my pain and suffering?

No, under Indiana law, workers’ compensation does not pay for pain and suffering. Compensation will cover medical bills and expenses, but will not extend to emotional aspects.

What should I do if I can no longer perform my pre-accident job?

If you were injured on the job, you are entitled to vocational rehabilitation services from the state of Indiana. You may be entitled to receive training for a new vocation.

What if I need additional medical treatment and the worker’s compensation carrier refuses to treat me?

You can request a free second opinion, an independent medical exam, and your employer or your employer’s insurance carrier will be responsible for the cost.

Can I be fired for filing a worker’s compensation claim?

No, under Indiana law, you cannot be fired for filing a workers’ compensation claim. If an employer has unfairly terminated your employment because of a claim, you can be entitled to further restitution.

If I have to see a doctor chosen by the workers’ compensation carrier, and I have to miss work, will my lost wages be reimbursed?

Yes, you will be reimbursed based on your daily average wage.

What if I have difficulty receiving benefits from my employer’s worker’s compensation insurance carrier?

First, you should talk with the insurance carrier to find out why the claim was denied. Many times, disputes can be resolved by providing more information or medical records. If you cannot resolve the dispute, you can contact the ombudsman division of the Workers’ Compensation Board of Indiana to explore alternative dispute resolution alternatives.

Contact Our Office Today

Our team is happy to provide all the answers you need to better understand your rights during your free consultation. If you have further questions about a potential worker’s compensation claim, contact our office online or call us at (765) 626-3383 to make an appointment with one of our attorneys.